Thursday, October 15, 2009

Something Other Than Politics

Bookmark and Share

Amen Me!
Journal Entry October 16, 2009
A Post at the Mark Levin Show - Pet Corner


Dear Mr. Levin:

It seems that my family has become the local home for strays. As of this writing, we now have four cats and two dogs. Both of the dogs were purchased from reputable breeders, not those ghastly puppy mills one reads and hears about in the news. The older of the two, a Yorkie is named Wyckett after the character from the movie Star Wars. The other is named Rags, a Schnauzer.

Of the four cats one, the oldest named Chloey, was rescued from an animal shelter when we lived in LI NY, the other three have seemingly adopted us, but just showing up and deciding that this was where they wanted to stay. Their names are in order, Spook, Nermal, and Nibbit. I am not sure how they were given those names and as to why, as my stepson rather bestowed those upon them.

I will say that each one of these, critters, as we like to call them has a personality. Nobody can tell me that animals do not have individual characteristics.

Wyckett being the oldest of all the animals, 12, (or is it 13?), is of course the elder statesman, and just likes to hang around on his little spot on the couch. He is getting on in years, but he is probably the most faithful of the lot.

Rags, on the other hand is 2 years old, and loves to howl when one of us walks in the door and will continue until you pick him up, pet him, and let him do his sniffing routine. He is smart as all get out, and was very easy to train. He loves his walks, and on the nights that I am off from work he and I take a nice very early, morning stroll up our road and back. He looks forward to it, and when I am not home, I know he misses it. My spouse takes him out for a bit, just around our general property but it’s not quite the same for him.

Now as for the cats, each and every one have some little individual thing that makes them unique.

Chloey, the oldest, and female, seems to be rather left alone by the other three, and will, for lack of a better description just be plain nasty to them. However, she is loveable when it comes to the humans, go figure.

Spook is the lean hunting machine. He has caught mice, moles, birds, a jackrabbit, (that surprised me the most), and a squirrel. And of course like all good hunters, has decided to share the spoils with us humans. Myself, I am not into road kill so to speak, and usually have the clean up duties.

Nermal, is a fatty. He lives to eat, and eats to live. He has long hair, and if there was ever a live reproduction of Garfield it would be him. Other than the color he would do the aforementioned Garfield proud.

Nibbit is the baby, and she’s still learning, but she learns fast. And OMG, do NOT eat chicken around her, she can sniff it a mile away.

As I had mentioned earlier in this little piece we have become a local home for strays. Sadly we are now as full as we can get, and what do we find just the other day? Why of course another little kitten. We are hoping to find a home for it over the weekend, if not then I am afraid we’ll have to turn it over to our local shelter. It breaks my heart (privately), as I have to be stern on this issue.

I surprise myself sometimes of late because I have never really considered myself much of an animal lover. I liked them well enough, but would not have missed it if I hadn’t had any pets. Now, I am not so sure that I wouldn’t feel complete unless we had a four legged type critter in our family.

I am sorry I cannot provide a single photo of them all together. I have several individual ones, but I am not certain I can upload all of them to this site. Perhaps somewhere down the road, if I can get them ALL to sit still long enough for a group shot it can be done.

Respectfully Yours
R.P. Woitowitz Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment