Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Daily Devotional

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - The Book of Psalms 23:6

Brethren:

We feel somewhat annoyed at those writers who seem determined to challenge any ancient meaning of the sacred text. There are absolutely no scholars today who have any more learning or any more intelligence than the translators of the KJV, which rendition is here followed by the ASV. Some point out that, the literal Hebrew from which these words are translated actually has, "`For length of days,' referring to prolonged earthly life rather that to life after death." So what? As Dahood, writing in the Anchor Bible, stated it, "The Hebrew words here are actually a synonym for `eternal life.

"Surely goodness and kindness will attend me, all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of Yahweh for days without end."
Furthermore, as Kidner noted, "The Christian understanding of these words (as in the KJV) does no violence to them." - James Burton Coffman - Theologian - 1905 - 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment