Thursday, August 29, 2013



My Daily Meditation
Today’s Reading
The Second Book of Samuel
Chapter 18:1-32

1 Then David numbered the people that were with him, and set over them captains of thousands, and captains of hundreds.
2 And David sent forth the third part of the people under the hand of Joab, and the third part under the hand of Abishai Joab’s brother, the son of Zeruiah: and the other third part under the hand of Ittai the Gittite. And the King said unto the people, I will go with you myself also.
3 But the people answered, Thou shalt not go forth: for if we flee away, they will not regard us, neither will they pass for us, though half of us were slain: but thou art now worth ten thousand of us: therefore now it is better that thou succor us out of the city.
4 Then the king said unto them, What seemeth you best, that I will do. So the king stood by the gate side, and all the people came out by hundreds and by thousands.
5 And the king commanded Joab and Abishai, and Ittai, saying, Entreat the young man Absalom gently for my sake. And all the people heard when the King gave all the Captains charge concerning Absalom.
6 So the people went out into the field to meet Israel, and the battle was in the wood of Ephraim:
7 Where the people of Israel were slain before the servants of David: so there was a great slaughter that day, even of twenty thousand.
8 For the battle was scattered over all the country: and the wood devoured much more people that day than did the sword.
9 Now Absalom met the servants of David, and Absalom rode upon a mule, and the mule came under a great thick oak: and his head caught hold of the oak, and he was taken up between the heaven and the earth: and the mule that was under him went away.
10 And one that saw it, told Joab, saying, Behold, I saw Absalom hanged in an oak.
11 Then Joab said unto the man that told him, And hast thou indeed seen? why then didst thou not there smite him to the ground, and I would have given thee ten shekels of silver, and a girdle?
12 Then the man said unto Joab, Though I should receive a thousand shekels of silver in mine hand, yet would I not lay mine hand upon the King’s son: for in our hearing the King charged thee, and Abishai, and Ittai, saying, Beware, lest any touch the young man Absalom.
13 If I had done it, it had been the danger of my life: for nothing can be hid from the King: yea, thou thyself wouldest have been against me. (a)
14 Then said Joab, I will not thus tarry with thee. And he took three darts in his hand, and thrust them through Absalom, while he was yet alive in the midst of the oak.
15 And ten servants that bare Joab’s armor, compassed about and smote Absalom, and slew him.
16 Then Joab blew the trumpet, and the people returned from pursuing after Israel: for Joab held back the people.
17 And they took Absalom, and cast him into a great pit in the wood, and laid a mighty great heap of stones upon him: and all Israel fled every one to his tent.
18 Now Absalom in his life time had taken and reared him up a pillar, which is in the King’s dale: for he said, I have no son to keep my name in remembrance: and he called the pillar after his own name, and it is called unto this day, Absalom’s place.
19 Then said Ahimaaz the son of Zadok, I pray thee, let me run and bear the King tidings that the Lord hath delivered him out of the hand of his enemies.
20 And Joab said unto him, Thou shalt not be the messenger today, but thou shalt bear tidings another time, but today thou shalt bear none: for the King’s son is dead.
21 Then said Joab to Cushi, Go, tell the King, what thou hast seen. And Cushi bowed himself unto Joab, and ran.
22 Then said Ahimaaz the son of Zadok again to Joab, What, I pray thee, if I also run after Cushi? And Joab said, Wherefore now wilt thou run my son, seeing that thou hast no tidings to bring?
23 Yet what if I run? Then he said unto him, Run. So Ahimaaz ran by the way of the plain, and overwent Cushi.
24 Now David sat between the two gates. And the watchman went to the top of the gate upon the wall, and lift up his eyes, and saw, and behold, a man came running alone.
25 And the watchman cried, and told the king. And the King said, If he be alone, he bringeth tidings. And he came apace, and drew near.
26 And the watchman saw another man running, and the watchman called unto the potter, and said, Behold, another man runneth alone. And the King said, He also bringeth tidings.
27 And the watchman said, Me thinketh the running of the foremost is like the running of Ahimaaz the son of Zadok. Then the King said, He is a good man, and cometh with good tidings.
28 And Ahimaaz called, and said unto the King, Peace be with thee: and he fell down to the earth upon his face before the King, and said, Blessed be the Lord thy God, who hath shut up the men that lift up their hands against my Lord the King.
29 And the King said, Is the young man Absalom safe? And Ahimaaz answered, When Joab sent the King’s servant, and me thy servant, I saw a great tumult, but I knew not what.
30 And the King said unto him, Turn aside, and stand here: so he turned aside and stood still.
31 And behold, Cushi came, and Cushi said, Tidings, my lord the King: for the Lord hath delivered thee this day out of the hand of all that rose against thee.
32 Then the King said unto Cushi, Is the young man Absalom safe? And Cushi answered, The enemies of my lord the King, and all that rise against thee to do thee hurt, be as that young man is.
33 And the King was moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom: would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son.

(a) Editor’s thought - The other night, I noted how men do in the sight of God what they would not do in the sight of men.  I was thinking here, that this makes a good analogy. This to say, that there is no act of man that cannot be seen, nor heard by God.  As such I am reminded of the following verses:

Isaiah 2:19 - Then shall they go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth from before the fear of the Lord, and from the glory of his majesty, when he shall arise to destroy the earth.

 Hosea 10:8 - The high places also of Aven shall be destroyed, even the sin of Israel: the thorn and the thistle shall grow upon their altars, and they shall say to the mountains, Cover us, and to the hills, Fall upon us.

Luke 2:30 - Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us: and to the hills, Cover us.

Revelation 6:16 - And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the presence of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment