Monday, February 28, 2011

The Daily Meditation

BannerFans.com



Hosea 2:16, 19-20

16 And at that day, saith the Lord, thou shalt call
me Ishi, and shalt call me no more Baali.
19 And I will marry thee unto me forever: yea,
I will marry thee unto me in righteousness, and in
judgment, and in mercy, and in compassion.
20 I will even marry thee unto me in faithfulness,
and thou shalt know the Lord.

Editor’s notes

The name Ishi translates into the following root in ancient Hebrew;
3467 yasha` yaw-shah' a primitive root; properly, to be open, wide or free, i.e. (by implication) to be safe; causatively, to free or succor:--X at all, avenging, defend, deliver(-er), help, preserve, rescue, be safe, bring (having) salvation, save(-iour), get victory. Source Strong’s Concordance
The name Baali is a spelling of Baal who was a Phoenician deity:--Baal, (plural) Baalim and as such was an idol. Source Strong’s Concordance.

Editor’s thought - God is saying that you will no longer follow an idol, nor will you call me Master, but He will, redefine His covenant and treat Israel as one would treat His wife. This covenant, is one that is time honored by God, that is to say the marriage of man and woman. Recall yesterday’s Sunday Sermon, to see how God so honors this covenant. In verse 20 we read that we shall know the Lord. It is my thought that not only will we know Him as God Who is powerful in word and deed, but as one who is all merciful, righteous, loving, and knows and understands how to temper His power with compassion.

Related Scripture

Song of Solomon 1:4;
Isaiah 61:10;
Isaiah 62:5;
Joel 2:16;
John 3:29;
Jeremiah 31:33;
John 17:3;
Jeremiah 7:23;
Jeremiah 11:4;
Leviticus 26:12;
John 13:5-16;

No comments:

Post a Comment